Wednesday, November 24, 2010

In memory of memories

It is the season of celebration, creating traditions, and making memories. As Jody preps the cranberries, pumpkin ice cream, whipped sweet potatoes, and many more. I can't help but remember my childhood days of Thanksgiving. In my world it was cold, snowy, full of McDonald's in Ankeney Iowa, long car rides in the snow, stalling, cars sliding as we traveled along the back county roads to get to Fort Madison... Fort Madison, my favorite place to visit as a little person. I grew up in the cities. The norm was malls with escalators, a million stores, dramatic news, and plenty of people.  On the other hand my mom grew up in small town America, and my Grandma and Grandpa stayed there as well as my Aunt and Uncle and 7 cousins. This was my favorite place to visit. I loves the small town, the tiny cold movie theatre, the sub shop, tiny stores down town, walking to the local Ron's grocery store that we were all;owed to go to without parents. I  was in love with my family, in love with leaving my home, and playing with my cousins. I loved my Grandmas warm house, my Grandpas silly playing cards, his headstands he would indulge in and when he took out his fake teeth I was shocked every time.
I loved the feast, the kids table, the grape juice, my mom sipping wine with her sister. I loved watching the Macy's day parade as we prepared the feast. I loved the canned fruit tray, the banana bread, sloppy stuffing that only my Grandma could make, the loud TV, the neighbors, the bowling nights, bagging my mom to let us have sleepovers at my cousins, the glow parade every Friday night, the dollar movie, the drive tour of the Mississippi River, the crazy driving from my Grandpa. In a nut shell I loved my crazy, lovely, loud, silly Masters Thanksgiving. Makes me miss it.
And now we have our own traditions. Since Cedar was born we have been fortunate to have our great friends the Trumbower's up to the house to celebrate. No we don't have family with us be we have traditions. The kids playing, running around the yard, papas frying the Turkey, wandering to the top of the mountain to cut Christmas Trees, eating and more eating. Mamas sipping wine, kids begging for a sleepover, and time simply spent together. And so as we prepare for another year I am thankful. Thankful for the warm memories and of the new traditions years and running.
xoxo
Our first Thanksgiving with our FAMILY

No comments: