Thursday, October 4, 2007

How do you measure Success?

The question of the day. I sit here contemplating what success really is. And more importantly how is it measured from person to person. Is it the American dream? A white picket fence, a gated community, the new house, the "old" house with every addition, a PRIUS for the long commute, the right EVERYTHING. Is it the raise in the job, the "climbing" the ladder of positions? Is it the one who can say they worked the most hours in a day? The family who has to take vacations to truly see each other a few times a year? Are you only successful in the work environment. The one who keep there laptop on until 2am and gets back to work by 5am? Are we successful by how many kids we have? Is it just enough to have children and not raise them a minute? Is it success to have others parent so again the money will flow? Cause if this is it count me out. Count me out of endless dinners left cold on the stove. Children asking where daddy is. Count me out of competition for the best gear etc... for the kids. Count me out for the bed cold and lonely. Count me out of this dream...if this is success I hope to FAIL. I hear too many people say that when they look back at there upbringings they we always alone. Easy mac and TV was there welcoming home after a long day. Funny enough now the parents of these adults say they regret it all. I was one of the fortunate, always had a parent to cheer me on or help make the fall less painful. Then why do we continue to go this direction as a culture? Why is work more important then family? Why is there no such thing as a long-term paid maternity leave in our country. Why is there not even enough money for the underpaid to have health care? I would need to at least head up north to get respect mothers and babies bonding time. Why don't we care about these simple parts of life???

I hope to have too much time with my children. Too much time with my family. Too much time wandering the mountains, listening to little ones stories, eating snacks and laughing. I want to fail in the competition of material goods and how many scheduled things my family is in. I want time to eat dinner as a family, read stories as a family, I want time......for living. Will I have to fail to be successful. This is my revolution. To take back time. To find our roots. To be a family in constant motion....together.

3 comments:

damara & andy said...

"Eamonn family in constant motion" I love it.
Nat, check out the August edition of National Geographic under "Who Gives Parents a Break?"
It's unreal. Did you know U.S. law guarantees only 12 weeks of UNPAID leave under CERTAIN CONDITIONS.
Wow. Andy.
P.S. I see snow in the hills.

amanda jane said...

nat, i fully agree that our current method of measuring success is completely "f-ed up" to put it lightly. i think you are an incredible mother and you will choose a different way. not only to raise your family, but a different way to live. i know it. you already are. these thoughts swirl around in my head too...and I think we just need to keep talking...

Blue Lake Dance said...

Good questions. Seems that one must be privilaged to have the life that everyone SHOULD have in this country. Lucky are the few born into money.

Maybe fining our hard earned 'success' in life will make it all the sweeter.