Thursday, July 30, 2009

Definition: family

"any of various social units differing from but regarded as equivalent to the traditional family," or more commonly,
"a group of individuals living under one roof and usually under one head : household2 a: a group of persons of common ancestry :

Family: such a simple word but I feel in our generation we have changed the terms. On one hand I am so saddened to notice such large shift in Americans..especially Caucasians. There is no us, extended family. It is rare for grandparents, uncle/aunts to be neighbors much less living in the same state. As I contemplated how mothers stay relaxed, cool and calm, and happy with large families..it came to my attention we were families back then..yes the old saying, "It takes a village to raise a family." We all say it but does anyone want it??? God I dream of that place. The place where the elder, young and everyone in between has a place..a sticky glue spot in the family. ..How mothers and fathers not so many year before me were successful at having so many healthy children and seemed to look relaxed about it. That is where family has changed. family meant the full house hold lived, worked, helped, maintained that harmony, and connection all the hours of the day. I am blessed to have a family. To have extended family in other states I and my kids adore. But there is this place I still want to go in my everyday lie..where we start to see it as togetherness rather then Mine and yours. I had a glimpse of my family last weekend at Rocygrass. my kids, husband and the branching off from there of old and new friends. And how good it felt. To have family looking out for each other...watching the kiddos simply because they loved them, not because they were getting paid or because it was right but because they simply enjoyed our kids. Yes as I type this I sounds hokey..but I don't care. So to my extended family...the family that calls when things are good and bad, the family that dives right in, or knows when to step back. but overall is there....So cheers to a different generation that can maybe one day piece back the idea of the village.

No comments: