Saturday, February 28, 2009

Counting

Cedar and I had a date. It was sweet he was my date to see the Boulder Contemporary ballet show in Estes park. Actually we double dated with our another mom and her son. It started with a drink at the bar..they choose orange juice and lollipops and we choose wine! I was excited for him to see "big" people, both male and female dance. They were excited to eat lollipops, and sit by each other high up in an auditorium!! The show began and then the counting!! I could hear these little voices.."one person, three people, lots of people" going on and on as the dancers mysteriously came and went from the stage. All the while they counted. I noticed that the counting happened to the slower more melodic songs. When the dancer we dancing to a deeper, faster beat it stopped. The memory of counting as a kid was there. I remember every week attending Catholic Church with my family. To count you could say. As the sermon went on, as the songs were sung, as we knelled and stood, I would count. Counted the lights, pillars, chairs, pews. Looking back it was my meditation. I may not have been interested in church but it gave me a chance to count, and meditate without knowing it. There really is something so soothing about counting and it begins as such a young age..to count is to meditate.

1 comment:

Brynn said...

yes.

one. two. three.

breath in. breathe out. breathe in.