Monday, November 21, 2011

winter wonderland!

The woods bring us laughter, love, light, unity, community, cooperation, chills, heat, and much much more. And I'd lie if I did this all for my kids. There was a reason 12 years ago that  I graduated from college with an Outdoor Recreation Education degree! I do this for us. Whenever in doubt of the "why were homeschooling?" I just remind myself of our forest time. When Cedar began a Options (home school/school day once a week) the teacher asked him to draw about his favorite part of home life was. He drew a picture of the forest. I was filled up to see how much our time in the forest means to him. At times I need the woods to remind me that this is the foundation for all of our homeschooling or more simply put living.  I am most connected to my family, friends, myself, while amongst the snow caped mountains and  with chilly fingertips! This year has brought change. We have spent 2 years being in a decent rhythm with our school rituals. This year we have been religious with our forest time and a bit "unschooled" with our home time. We still enjoy Enki. We have begun our second grade curriculum We have spent the last few weeks working with Stalking Wolf and Native American Trickster Tales. I hope to capture all if this in a blog soon! As for today  it was a magical winter wonderland....we played with our dear friends in the fresh snow at Bear Lake. We built, re-built, and played in the igloo with my favorite peak in the distance.
We are thankful to have friends willing to romp. We are thankful for our Forest School community. We are so thankful to live in these beautiful Rocky Mountains!

 

No comments: